Free Insurance Quotes Logo
Get a Free Insurance Quote
Insurance Information
Insurance News
Auto Insurance
Critical Illness
Disability Insurance
Health Insurance
Home Insurance
Life Insurance
Mortgage Insurance
Travel Insurance
Visitors Insurance
Agent Locator

If you are
an Agent
Click Here

Click Here

Insurance Jobs
Click Here


Auto Insurance FAQs

Since auto insurance is regulated by states, aren't all policies the same?
Many insurers (but not all) use a standardized Personal Auto Policy, developed by the Insurance Services Organization. The type of protection is identical, but the price and service offered can vary widely.

What is the difference between Comprehensive and Collision coverage?
Collision covers damage to your car from collisions with any object. Comprehensive covers damage from such things as vandalism, theft, fire, flood and storm damage.

My car was "totaled" even though it was still drivable. How was this decision reached?
If the cost to repair your car is higher than its book value, an insurance company must "total" your car and pay you for its book value. The book value is determined by the age, options and condition of your car before the accident.

What can I do to reduce my auto insurance rates?
Shop around. But first ask for a review of your current policy and make sure that anything you don't understand is fully explained. Then get comparison quotes from other insurers; you'll be surprised at some of the cost differences. Be sure you're comparing for the exact same coverage. Consider raising your deductible, and be on the lookout for discounts you may be entitled to for such things as:

  • Multi-vehicle policies
  • Anti-lock brakes
  • Airbags
  • Passive restraint
  • Driver training
  • Good Student status
  • Defensive Driver status
  • Anti-theft devices

Do I need to buy extra coverage when I rent a car?
Know before you go! You don't want to buy duplicate coverage, especially at the rates that rental companies sometimes charge, but be sure you know exactly what your insurance company does and doesn't cover. For instance some companies cover your rental car, but only if yours was damaged in an accident. Some credit cards will cover your rental, but again with limitations and stipulations.

Am I covered while driving a car in Europe or Mexico?
No. Most policies do not extend beyond the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

What should I do if I'm involved in an auto accident?
If you're in an accident, try to stay calm. Don't argue, place blame or admit fault.

  1. Move clear of traffic if possible and turn off your engine.
  2. If hurt, wait for help inside your vehicle.
  3. Be sure someone has called 911.
  4. Tell police immediately if you're hurt, and ask again for emergency help.
  5. Get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of everyone involved, including witnesses.
  6. Get other drivers' license numbers, plate numbers, registration information, and policy information.
  7. Make notes or sketches to help remember details, the time, weather, road conditions, etc.
  8. Notify your insurer.

Top Line
Home | Information | Insurance News | Auto Insurance | Critical Illness Insurance | Disability Insurance | Health Insurance | Home Insurance | Life Insurance | Mortgage Insurance | Travel Insurance | Visitors Insurance | Insurance Jobs | Referral Program | Agents Only | Privacy | About Free Insurance Quotes
Lower Line